A Photo Essay: Niagara

Niagara Falls is a beautiful area; we only had enough time to spend one day there, but we thoroughly enjoyed it.  It was nice to get a bit of fall weather and see the leaves start to change.  Here are some photos from the Niagara Falls and Niagara on the Lake portion of our weekend getaway:

Niagara Falls

Niagara Falls

Niagara Falls

Niagara Falls

Niagara Falls

Curviest Street in the World
Falling for Ghent

Comments

1. says

I spent my honeymoon at Niagara Falls back in ’85 and loved every minute of it. It is most definitely a beautiiful place to be and now, you have me longing to return. Seeing the falls at night…. it just doesn’t get any more beautiful than that!

2. says

Thanks for taking me back to Niagara. Your night pictures are great, and the daytime ones even better. How did you get so close at the bottom, where the spray is so heavy everyone gets wet, without blitzing your camera?

• says

Thanks, and you are welcome! Micah has a waterproof bag/case for his camera, so it worked really well on the Maid of the Mist. Glad we didn’t experience any leaks, but on the other hand, we got pretty soaked, even with the ponchos! :)

3. says

Lovely images. I am in love with Niagara Falls, absolutely, with its beauty and power, and I want to go there and make the opposite photo gallery of the area’s decay and tackiness, just blocks from the Falls.

• says

Thanks! That would be an interesting photo essay–I would love to see it if you ever get a chance to do it! There is definitely a lot of tackiness nearby, it’s quite the contrast, unfortunately

4. says

Niagara Falls is in my “backyard” ( about an hours drive ) . Been there multiple times and never tire of it. The Falls are breathtaking every time. Very Historical area as well, lots to see and learn.

• says

I can see why you would never tire of it–it’s so beautiful. It would have been fun to dive into more of the history as well–maybe next time–I’m sure it has a very interesting past!

5. says

I live about a 20 minute drive from the Falls. Even as a local, I go by there several times a year, This is in addition to the times when I take an out-of-town guest or foreign visitor to see the Falls. Magnificent. Glorious. I never get tired of it.

6. says

I grew up on Grand Island, an Island on the Niagara River just above the Falls. It really is a spectacular area and I have a lot of great memories from being raised there. The winters, however, were long and cold but visually beautiful when the ice and snow formed and fell around the cascading water. Great photos…thanks for sharing!

• says

Thanks! I wanted to make it over to Grand Island, but unfortunately didn’t get a chance. It sounds beautiful though! And sounds like a fun place to grow up too! I would love to see the falls in the winter–the ice and snow would add such an interesting effect.

• says

Thanks for the reblog! I agree, the view from the American side isn’t near as good as it is from Canada, but the nature around the American side seems so much better!

7. says

I live in Toronto and I make it a habit to go at least once a year to Niagra-on-the-Lake and the Falls. If you ever go back make sure you go to a local winery, there are several. they offer wine tasting and tours and they are absolutly beautiful to walk around and take in the vinyards.

• says

We went to Toronto for a day as well–we really enjoyed both areas a lot! I would love to visit one of the wineries. They looked like a lot of fun when we were driving by–will have to put in on our list for next time. Thanks!

8. says

I absolutely LOVE Niagara Falls! It’s breathtakingly gorgeous. If you ever get the chance, take the Behind the Falls Tour. It’s such a intense feeling to be that close to something so powerful.

9. says

I was lucky enought to get to visit the Falls. Gosh, such handywork! The ever-present rainbows could knock the frown right off of your face haha Great post, thanks for sharing and congrats on FP!

10. says

Thanks for these gorgeous reminders of a great day we spent at Niagra on the lake and the Falls a couple of years ago. Congrats on being freshly pressed too

11. says

Gorgeous photos. We live in Toronto but visit the Niagara Region a lot. There is a great biking trail on the Canadian side. Several years ago I took my kids to the US park and we walked out on that lookout – they still remember it, especially the wind!

• says

Thanks–we appreciate it! Before we went to Niagara, I had read something about the falls lighting up at night, but I had no idea how beautiful and bright it would be! I was glad we stopped by to check it out after dark.

12. says

If you ever get the chance, you will have to come back in winter….the falls are stunning in February as the mist rises and freezes on everything it touches. On a sunny day, the trees and fences look like they are encrusted in crystal! Just gorgeous.